STN1170: OBD-II, SW-CAN, MS-CAN Interpreter IC
STN1170 combines the entire STN1110 (multiprotocol OBD-II) feature set with Single Wire CAN (SW-CAN) and Medium Speed CAN (MS-CAN) protocols in a single 44-pin IC. SW-CAN protocol support allows your device to access, monitor and issue commands on vehicles utilizing GM’s proprietary CAN network. Similarly, MS-CAN provides access to Ford’s proprietary CAN network on supporting models.
NOTE: OBD Solutions recommends that all new hardware projects use STN2120 in place of STN1170. STN2120 has all the functionality of STN1170 and is available at no additional cost. OBD Solutions will continue to sell and support STN1170 for the foreseeable future, but have no plans to add new features to STN11xx ICs.
On vehicles hosting SW-CAN or MS-CAN networks, our enhanced ST command set allows your device to interpret data not available on the vehicle’s OBD-II bus. Using the GM & Ford proprietary codes, you can commonly interpret current status of systems such as:
- Seat belt
- Anti-Lock Brake (ABS)
- Traction Control
Control commands commonly found on supported vehicles include:
- Door lock/unlock
- Window up/down
- Radio volume up/down
- Turn signals & Hazard on/off
- Engine start/kill
While STN1170 ST commands will provide access to SW-CAN and MS-CAN networks, the proprietary GM & Ford codes must be obtained independently. A popular method is to join the Equipment and Tool Institute where the codes can be accessed/purchased. Alternately, the traffic can be analyzed and reverse engineered.
- Safe, secure bootloader. Reflash the firmware in the field, even over a poor quality link and avoid expensive product recalls.
- Fully compatible with ELM327 command set, ensuring out-of-the-box compatibility with the dozens of existing software applications.
- Extended “ST” command set provides access to enhanced functionality, without compromising compatibility.
- PowerSave mode with multiple sleep and wakeup triggers. Ideal for permanent in-vehicle setups, device can be left connected for extended periods of time without draining the battery.
- Perfect form factor for any application. STN1170 is available in TQFP and QFN packages.
- RoHS compliant
STN1170 supports the following protocols:
- all legislated OBD II protocols:
- ISO 15765-4 (CAN)
- ISO 14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
- ISO 9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler vehicles)
- SAE J1850 VPW (GM vehicles)
- SAE J1850 PWM (Ford vehicles)
- non-legislated OBD protocols:
- Single Wire CAN (SW-CAN) – GM proprietary network
- Medium Speed CAN (MS-CAN) – Ford proprietary network
- ISO 15765
- ISO 11898 (raw CAN)
- SAE J1939 OBD protocol used in heavy-duty vehicles
- Solid, field-tested software. STN1170 runs the same proven code that powers the popular STN1110 and OBDLink family of PC-based OBD interfaces. Thanks to its large user base, any problems are discovered and corrected quickly.
- Large OBD message buffer. STN1170 has over five times as much RAM as its nearest competitor, virtually eliminating BUFFER OVERFLOW errors.
- Automatic protocol detection algorithm is continuously fine-tuned to insure that STN1170 will connect to the widest array of vehicles, even those that do not fully conform to the OBD-II standard.
PowerSave Sleep/Wakeup Triggers
The diagram shows the various triggers available in the STN11xx family of ICs. Please refer to the STN11xx PowerSave Functionality documentation for more details.
- units 1-9: $10.99 each
- units 10-99: $10.49
- units 100-999: $9.49
- units 1,000-9,999: $8.68
- units 10,000 – 24,999: $7.95
Please contact us for additional inquires.
For small quantities, lead time is only a few days. For production level quantities, please allow 6-8 weeks lead time.
Family Reference and Programming Manual
ST Commands for Single-Wire CAN & Medium-Speed CAN development
STN11xx PowerSave Functionality
Firmware Update Specification for Devices with STN Bootloader
Open Hardware Projects