STN1110: Multiprotocol OBD to UART Interpreter IC
STN1110 is the world’s smallest, lowest cost multiprotocol OBD to UART interpreter IC. It provides an easy means of accessing vehicle data, including diagnostic trouble codes, MIL status, VIN, Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) information, In-use Performance Tracking (IPT), and hundreds of real-time parameters. To maintain compatibility with existing applications, the interpreter IC has full support for the ELM327 command set, while outperforming the original ELM327 IC in every category: stability, performance, and features.
NOTE: OBD Solutions recommends that all new hardware projects use STN2100 in place of STN1110. STN2100 has all the functionality of STN1110 and is available at no additional cost. OBD Solutions will continue to sell and support STN1110 for the foreseeable future, but have no plans to add new features to STN11xx ICs.
- Better hardware. STN1110 is based on a modern 16-bit processor, which runs several times faster than its nearest competitor, and has several times more flash program memory and RAM.
- Second-to-none data throughput. Gives you more data faster, up to 100% more samples per second.
- UART baud rates up to 10Mbps, 20 times faster than the fastest OBD protocol.
- Safe, secure bootloader. Reflash the firmware in the field, even over a poor quality link and avoid expensive product recalls.
- Fully compatible with ELM327 command set, ensuring out-of-the-box compatibility with the dozens of existing software applications.
- Extended “ST” command set provides access to enhanced functionality, without compromising compatibility.
- PowerSave mode with multiple sleep and wakeup triggers. Ideal for permanent in-vehicle setups, device can be left connected for extended periods of time without draining the battery.
- Perfect form factor for any application. STN1110 is available in SPDIP, SOIC and QFN packages.
- all legislated OBD II protocols:
- ISO 15765-4 (CAN)
- ISO 14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
- ISO 9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler vehicles)
- SAE J1850 VPW (GM vehicles)
- SAE J1850 PWM (Ford vehicles)
- non-legislated OBD protocols:
- ISO 15765
- ISO 11898 (raw CAN)
- SAE J1939 OBD protocol used in heavy-duty vehicles
- Solid, field-tested software. STN1110 runs the same proven code that powers the popular OBDLink family of PC-based OBD interfaces. Thanks to its large user base, any problems are discovered and corrected quickly.
- Large OBD message buffer. STN1110 has over five times as much RAM as its nearest competitor, virtually eliminating BUFFER OVERFLOW errors.
- Automatic protocol detection algorithm is continuously fine-tuned to insure that STN1110 will connect to the widest array of vehicles, even those that do not fully conform to the OBD standard.
PowerSave Sleep/Wakeup Triggers
The diagram shows the various triggers available in the STN11xx family of ICs. Please refer to the STN11xx PowerSave Functionality documentation for more details.
STN1100 Family Reference and Programming Manual
STN11xx PowerSave Functionality
STN1110 Press Release
Firmware Update Specification for Devices with STN Bootloader
STN1110 vs. ELM327 Comparison
Open Hardware Projects
Arduino Vehicle OBD2 Shield (Kostas Sigalas/Sigalabs)
Sparkfun OBD-II UART board — PCB files in Cadsoft Eagle format
STN1110 Bluetooth OBD-II Adapter (Andy Honecker) — PCB files in Altium format
STN1110 Bluetooth OBD-II Adapter (Nabil Tewolde) — PCB files in Cadsoft Eagle format
Sparkfun STN1110 tutorial